H-1B Visas: A Good Idea for You?

If you are looking to immigrate to the United States, there are quite a few ways of doing it. One of the ways is to get what is known as an H-1B visa. The United States government makes 85,000 H-1B visas available each year for workers that possess highly specialized knowledge in a certain field, or for distinguished fashion models.

Most often, the H-1B visa is used by people who work in computer-related fields or other high-tech industries. They are not the only ones who qualify for the visa though. Any field that requires a high amount of specialization qualified. That means that if you are trained as an attorney, librarian, dietician, accountant, medical worker, or scientist, you might qualify.

Some of the things you may need to know about the H-1B visa before you focus on it though are as follows:

  • You are allowed to work in the United States for the employer who sponsors your H-1B visa for up to 6 years.
  • The H-1B visa allows you to apply for visas for minor children as well as a spouse to come with you to the United States, but they are not allowed to work here unless they apply and are approved for their own work visa(s).
  • The H-1B visa allows you to travel to and from the United States (with some exceptions) at any time until it expires.
  • If you are terminated from your job by the employer who sponsored the H-1B visa before your authorized stay is up, the employer must pay for your return trip to your country. This applies even if you were at fault for the termination. If you quit the job, however, your return trip to your home country will be your own personal expense.